Zelda Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zelda Village

A Zelda Forum for Teens to RP, hang out and be nice!!! :-)

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Only Time Will Tell

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mal

Mal

Female
Number of posts : 1741
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Only Time Will Tell Empty
PostSubject: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime22nd February 2007, 06:09

(This is a story I am writing based on the Ocarina of Time manga, so mind you it might not exactly be canon. But I like the manga's storyline. For the most part, it sticks to the original game, and on the parts it doesn't, I will improvise as I see fit. Thanks, and hopefully, you'll enjoy! ^^ Oh, and one more thing, I will be posting this story in Chapters. I am just posting the Introduction for now, but Chapter One should be up and done shortly.)

Only Time Will Tell
(A manga-based fan-fiction by Mallorie)

Introduction

The baby’s cry pierced the night, like the swords piercing the soldiers on the raging battlefield. The woman stared at the horizon, gripping the reigns of the horse, and aching for her wailing child, as she ignored the searing pain in her side. She felt weary from loss of blood. But her child was safe, and that was what mattered. She ignored the groans of the wounded and dying and kept her eyes on her goal. The forest. She had to get to the forest.

As she neared the forest, she ducked to avoid decapitation from the growing thickness of the branches. When she realized it was too hazardous to continue on horseback, she abandoned the creature and took off on foot, her offspring tucked safely into her arms. Fighting for every breath, she half ran, and half-dragged herself to the center of the forest. To the Great Deku Tree.

“P-please...” she whispered, eyelids fluttering, “please take care...of Link...”
She left the baby at the foot of the sacred tree, who looked upon the child.
“Please...”she repeated.
The tree grunted assent.
She smiled, a peaceful, fulfilled smiled. Content in the knowledge that her last wish had been granted, she let her eyes close for the last time, and she stirred no more.
The Great Deku Tree looked down at the child, so alive in comparison to his dead mother. He wondered if he’d made the right decision...but only time would tell.
Back to top Go down
https://zeldavillage.jeun.fr/index.htm
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime24th February 2007, 06:30

Okay, not all of Chapter One will fit so I will post it in a few posts
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime24th February 2007, 06:30

Chapter One
Before life began, before the world had form, Din, Nayru, and Farore descended from the heavens and created the land that would become Hyrule. Din, with her strong flaming arms, cultivated the land to create the earth. Nayru poured her wisdom onto the earth to give the spirit of law to the world. Farore's rich soul created all life forms who would uphold the law.
This is the deep forest that spreads across Eastern Hyrule. Kokiri Forest. In the Kokiri Tribe that lives there, everyone had a fairy of their very own. But, for some reason, there was one young boy who did not have a fairy. And his name was Link...

Link frowned deeply, perspiration dotting his forehead, as he tossed and turned in his bed. It was the nightmare all over again. Every night it seemed more real...
In it, a beautiful girl his own age, and a woman with red eyes and white hair were on a horse, speeding away from a large, burning building. The girl looked at him with sad eyes, and threw him something....but right as he was about to pick it up, the man clad in black armor rode up and looked menacingly down at him, drawing his sword and...
“Gah!” Link yelled, sitting straight up in bed, his breath fast. He sighed.
“Just a dream....just a dream...” he told himself, inwardly chiding himself for being so frightened of the nightmare.
He looked outside, expecting to see the Kokiri scurrying about on their everyday duties, smiles on their child-like faces. But there was no one outside. Only the rustle of the leaves interrupted the silence.
“Where is everybody?” he asked, scanning the ground from his house in the tree-tops. “What the-?” he said aloud... He racked his brain for some clue to where his Kokiri friends had gone. Then, it dawned on him.
“Uh-oh...” he said, frowning.
Link climbed down the ladder quickly. “I’m late for the Great Deku Tree’s story!” he yelled, dodging rocks as he made his way to the Great Deku Tree’s grove.
Suddenly, he was stopped dead in his tracks, and a trio of Kokiri boys stared him down, smirks plastered on their freckled faces.
“And just where to you think you’re going?” the leader, Mido, asked, eyes ridden with suspicion.
Link frowned. “I’m going to the Great Deku Tree. I-“
“Woah, woah, woah...” the second Kokiri interrupted. “You’re not going anywhere.”
“Yeah!” the third piped up, “A stupid half-person like you can’t see the Great Deku Tree!”
Link scowled at Mido. “I can go wherever I please!” he said, trying to push past him, “Outta my way!”
Mido’s followers knocked him to the ground, laughing and hurling insults.
“Weak little half-person. How dare you even think you can get past the Great Mido!” Mido said, more than a small not of pride in his voice.
“Yeah!” she others chorused.
“But, the Great Deku Tree says I’m a Kokiri!” Link insisted.
Mido laughed. “Yeah, but any true Kokiri would have a fairy. I don’t see you with any fairy. So I guess you’re not a Kokiri.”
His followers snickered. “Half-person! Half-person!” they said in a sing-song voice.
Link clenched his fists and teeth, and jumped on top of Mido. He punched him in the face, getting a few good hits in, before Mido’s lap-dogs pulled him off of him, carrying him to the pond and throwing him in.
“Bet you won’t be messing with the leader of the Kokiri anytime soon!” Mido sneered.
At that moment, Saria entered the clearing, and spotted Link, dripping wet, as he waded to the bank. She immediately knew what had happened. Her normally cheerful face darkened and she fixed her gaze on Mido and his friends.
“Mido! How many times does the Great Deku Tree have to tell you?! We are supposed to be kind to our fellow Kokiri!”
Mido’s face turned red with a mixture of shame at getting caught and embarrassment of Saria being the one to catch him. It was a well known fact that Saria was by far the prettiest of the Kokiri girls, and Mido wasn’t the only one who had a crush on her.
Link smiled. Saria had been his best friend since he could remember. She was always sticking up for him when the others came down on him for being different, and was the only one that was kind to him. Apart from Saria and the Deku Tree’s acceptance, Link would be a complete outcast from the tribe.
Mido looked at his feet. “Sorry Saria.” He looked at Link, and flinched visibly as he muttered his apologies to him. He and his buddies shuffled away.
Saria smiled at Link. “Where were you? You missed the story!”
Link sighed. “Sorry...I fell asleep. I was having...that nightmare again...” he said sheepishly. “But that doesn’t matter. Saria? Do you think I will ever get my fairy?”
Saria’s eyes softened, knowing that this was a sensitive point Link. All the other Kokiri had gotten their fairies years ago. In fact, Link was the only one without one.
“Don’t be silly! Of course you will! But for now, let’s go talk to the Deku Tree.” she said, in an effort to avoid the painful subject. As much as she wanted Link to feel like he belonged, it was not in her power to appoint him a guardian fairy.
Link nodded and followed Saria to the Great Deku Tree.
“Link.” Said the tree, “Thou art troubled. I can sense it. What is it?”
Link sighed. “Great Deku Tree, when will I get my guardian fairy?”
“Mido has been troubling thou, has he not? Do not worry. I will tell you everything you wish to know. But all in good time.”
Link frowned. That was always his answer.
“Now, run along and play, my children.” He said to Saria and Link, who obeyed, and exited his grove.
When they were back in the forest, Saria brought out her ocarina. “Maybe some music will make you feel better.” She said, as she began to play. Together they danced around, laughing until they fell to the ground, and looked up at the stars that were beginning to peep out from behind the clouds. Saria sighed.
“Link? Do you want to tell me about your nightmare? You don’t have to tell me, but it might make you feel better.”
Link was quiet for a moment. “Well,” he began, “At first, I look up, and there is a huge, building on fire. But I don’t know what the building is.”
“Maybe a castle?” Saria suggested.
“What is a...castle?” Link asked.
Saria looked back up at the night sky. “Well, it’s a large building where leaders of a people live.” She explained.
Link looked thoughtful. “So, do we have any castles here? I figured Mido would want one.” He said. “You know, seeing as how he’s the ‘leader’ of the Kokiri.” He made a face, and Saria laughed.
“No,” she said, “we have no castles here in the forest.”
Link looked confused. “But, how do you know about these things if we have none? Did we have them in the past?” Link asked.
Saria shook her head. “No, Mido can think what he wants, but the Great Deku Tree is the true leader of the Kokiri, the father of the forest, and he has never, and will never need a castle. I know about these things not because they are in the forest, but there are some, out there, in the wide world.”
“The...world?” he said, his confusion deepening, “What is the wide world?”
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime24th February 2007, 06:31

“It’s everything outside the Forest, that spans as far as the eye can see, and holds all kinds of different people. The Deku Tree told me one day, when he called me into his grove by myself.”
Link nodded, still not completely comprehending, but satisfied that Saria knew what she was talking about. He turned his gaze back up the night sky, only to see dark clouds rolling in from the horizon. “Those...those clouds don’t look normal...” Link said hesitantly.
Saria nodded. “I don’t think they are either....don’t laugh, but...” he voice trailed off, and she was quiet for a moment. “...I sense an...evil...about them.”
Link was quiet studying the clouds that Saria had called ‘evil’. He and the Kokiri were a very sheltered people, but the Deku Tree seemed to confide in Saria more than anyone else. That’s why she knew about so many things outside of the forest. And though he wasn’t exactly sure what she meant by ‘evil’ in the clouds, he definitely felt that something wasn’t quite right.
Saria rose. “Let’s go before a storm hits.” She said. “Goodnight Link.”
“Bye Saria. See you tomorrow!” he said, walking toward his house. When he got there, he climbed into his bed, and laid his head on the soft pillow.
“The world...” he said again, “...what is out there? What am I missing?”
He pondered this for along time, until his eyelids drooped, and his dreams were filled with his fancies about what the ‘world’ might be.

Dawn was breaking in the forest. The Great Deku Tree opened his ancient eyes, expecting to see the placid silence of his haven. Instead, he opened them to a face of pure evil. Gohma.
“What art thou doing here? What dost thou want?” the Deku Tree demanded. The parasite ignored him, shrugging off his question with a flick of her giant pincers. “Give me the stone!” she hissed, her one large red eye glaring at him from under an armored eyelid.
“Thou shan’t obtain the sacred stone for that dark man’s purposes!” he spat.
She cackled, a high, shrill sound. “Oh, we shall see about that! Such a pity trees can’t move.” she crowed, before using her parasitic claws to burrow through the Deku Tree’s exterior, into his very core. He gave a grunt of pain, and shut his eyes tightly. He felt the parasite ripping into him, stripping him from the inside out, all in search of the stone he had refused to give her. With an effort, he called in a broken voice.
“N-navi! Come hither, Navi!” he croaked.
The fairy sprang from the leaves of the Deku Tree, rubbing her eyes, and floating down in front of his massive face. “Yes, Deku Tree? Is there something the matter?”
He did a poor job of suppressing a groan of pain, as Gohma shredded more of the wood on his insides into splinters.
“Deku Tree!” she said with a gasp, “What is it? What is the matter?”
“Navi...” he began “the end for me is nigh, but there might still be a chance to save me. I have been cursed by that foul man of the Desert. Go forth, Navi, and find the boy without a fairy! Tell him that now is the time for his journey to begin. For his destiny to be fulfilled. Go, Navi, and do not falter!”
“Yes, Deku Tree, I will! You can count on me!!” she said, zipping off in the direction of the village, leaving the Deku Tree alone with his suffering.
Navi, wings fluttering as fast as they could carry her, made her way to the house of the ‘boy without a fairy’: Link. She dodged the branches, and ducked into the window.
“Link! Link wake up!! The Great Deku Tree! He’s been cursed and he needs you!” she yelled, trying, with what little force she could muster, to wake him. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, and spotted the ball of blue light.
“A-a fairy?” he breathed, reaching out to touch her. “I got a fairy! I can’t believe I got a fairy!”
“Yes! But now is not the time! The Great Deku Tree is in grave danger!” she said urgently. “We need to go, now!” she said.
Link nodded, and pulled his shoes on, and went down the ladder to his tree house as fast as he could, nearly falling twice. He raced through the sleeping forest, panting and trying to keep up with the fairy ahead of him. Just as he was about to go through the tunnel to the Great Deku Tree’s domain, he was stopped dead in his tracks. He scowled at the figure smirking at him, and blocking the way. Mido.
“Mido, I don’t have the time! The Great Deku Tree—“ he began.
“Shut up, fairy-less!” he snapped, “You have no business with the Deku Tree!”
Link frowned. “But, I do have a fairy! Look!” he protested, pointing at Navi.
Mido’s jaw dropped. “Y-you? You got a fairy?!” he said, eyes wide with disbelief.
“Yeah!” Navi said, “So let us through. We haven’t the time for a loser like you!”
Mido turned red with anger. “Fine!” he spat, “But I’m coming with you! Fairy or no, I’m not letting a half-person be the Deku Tree’s favorite!”
Mido followed Link and Navi through the enclosure to the Great Deku Tree. When the got there, both Mido and Link’s eyes opened wide with horror at the sight they beheld. In the short time Navi have been gone, the Deku Tree had already gone through some drastic changes. His leaves, once green with the beauty and health of spring, were rapidly turning to a sickly gray-brown. His eyes seemed dull, as though they were pained to even open. He shuddered violently, sending a shower of leaves down to the browning grass beneath him.
“L-link...” he managed to say, “thou hast come...at last, thou hast come...”
Link looked at the Great Deku Tree with tormented eyes. The Deku Tree, who had always been his support and strength, now stood helpless, his life slipping away like sand.
Mido gazed at the tree in disbelief. “He’s...cold. As if dead...” he said slowly.
A familiar voice called to Link. “Link? What’s wrong? What’s wrong with the Great Deku Tree?” Saria asked, running to his side. Link shrugged, feeling helpless.
“Deku Tree?” he said, voice cracking in an attempt to hold back tears, “Deku Tree, answer me!”
“Link...I have been cursed...go forth, inside of me, and defeat the evil one who seeks to destroy me!”
Link nodded, and tried to muster up all the courage he had to meet the challenge required of him. With labored breath, the Great Deku Tree opened himself up, revealing a black void. Mido steadied his shaking knees, and threw a glance at Saria.
“I’ll go too!” he said, hoping to impress her, but she took no notice.
“Be careful, Link...” she said.
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime24th February 2007, 06:31

He nodded, and smiled. “Don’t worry; I’ll beat whatever it is that is hurting the Great Deku Tree!”
Mido and Link entered the tree, and looked about. They could hear a faint swishing sound, and a hissing whisper, repeating the same phrase over and over again.
“The stone...where is the stone?” the voice echoed through the tree, and Mido drew his breath in sharply.
Link looked about, scanning the walls. His eyes roamed to the ceiling, and he gasped. For there, in the darkness, was a giant, staring, red eye. The giant parasite dropped to the floor, and glared at the two boys.
“What nice little boys you must be!” she said, with an attempted sweetness that made Link’s skin crawl. “I’m sure you taste wonderful!”
Mido went pale, fighting to stay conscious. Link pushed him out of the way, just in time to have a giant pincer come crashing down behind him. He spun on his heels, and turned to face the monster. He reached for his slingshot. In his hurry, it was the only thing he’d remembered to grab on his way to the Great Deku Tree. He began to shoot wildly at the massive insect, scolding himself as she cackled at his efforts. Her armored plating let no attack penetrate her. The whole time, Navi was watching the monster, for any signs of weakness. Suddenly, it hit her like a ton of bricks.
“Link! The eye! Go for the eye!” she shouted.
Link nodded, angry with himself for not realizing the obvious weakness sooner. As slowly and carefully as his situation would allow, Link raised the slingshot and loaded it with his last stone. Taking careful aim, he let it fly, praying that it would be on target. And it was. The monster screeched, and Link grabbed the sword Mido had brought and ran at the now blinded Gohma. He gave a cry as the monster’s appendages squirmed wildly about, and slashed at the eye in a frenzy. In a flash of light, Gohma began to deteriorate, until it was nothing more than a simple beetle it had been before it, like the Deku Tree, had been cursed. Link laughed.
“That’s it? A little bug?” he said, smiling.
He stepped on it, and headed for the exit, sword in hand.
“Hold it, half-person! That’s the Kokiri Sword, and, as the leader of the Kokiri, I’ll be taking it now.” He said, snatching it from Link. Link rolled his eyes, before heading back outside, where the entire tribe was waiting for them.
Saria looked hopeful. “Well?” she said, hardly able to keep the anticipation out of her voice.
“We did it!” Link said, giving Mido credit, even he’d done nothing but hide. “Did you hear, Great Deku Tree? We did it!”
The ancient tree stirred. “Yes, Link. Thou hast triumphed. But I am pained to tell you that your efforts were unable to save me. In fact, I knew this even before Navi came for you. Though your actions were valiant, I was doomed from the start.”
Link’s jaw dropped. Even though I fought so hard! Even though I beat Gohma! I was too late! he thought, tears stinging his eyes. Saria was speechless. After a moment of silence, she found her voice.
“But, Great Deku Tree! You can’t leave us! What will we do without you?” she said, her voice laden with sadness.
“Though the Dark One has succeeded in killing me, my death will not be in vain.” He said. “Link, the time to prove thyself has finally come. Thou hath wondered about the world, and now, thy must find out about it! I shall bestow upon thee the relic which that evil man would curse me for! Thou must take it to Hyrule, to the Princess Zelda. There, thou shall find some of the answers to the questions thou seek.”
As he spoke, a green light formed in front of Link. From of it, came a shining stone.
Saria gasped. “The Spiritual Stone of the Forest! The Kokiri Emerald!”
Link accepted the jewel, and the quest The Great Deku Tree has given him to go along with it. “I...I won’t fail you...” he managed to say.
“I know thou won’t.” he said. Then, the ancient plant, the Great Deku Tree, spoke his last words: “The future depends upon thee, Link. Thou art courageous.”
At these words, the tree slumped forward, and the last of the dead leaves fluttered to the ground. An enormous sadness settled over the Kokiri, and Saria wiped a tear from her eye. Mido stood gaping, gripping the sword in his right hand. He turned on Link, desperate to find an outlet for his emotions “You!” he hissed. “This is all your fault! I wish that lady had never brought you to the forest. Then, this never would have happened!!!” he yelled, tossing the sword at Link’s feet. “Take it, okay? Just leave! Leave, and don’t you ever come back!”
Link felt tears welling up in his eyes. “Mido...”
“JUST GO!”
Link turned and ran. He ran from the dead tree, from the tribe he’d never belong in, and from the forest that should never have been his home. He hoped that if he ran fast enough, he could escape the past, and the all emotions and memories he didn’t want anymore.
He ran to the tunnel that he’d never even been allowed to go near. The one that would take him out of the Kokiri Forest and into the world that the Deku Tree had told him to see. He made it to the bridge, the last stretch of the forest before he’d be free. And what he saw on that bridge stopped him.
“Saria?” he said. He stood and looked at his lifelong friend. She was holding back tears.
“You can’t stay here anymore, can you?” she said softly.
He shook his head. “No, I must take this stone to Princess Zelda, whoever she may be. And I must go see the world. Maybe that’s where I really belong. Out there.”
Saria looked saddened. “I understand. But...before you go, take this.”
She came to him, and put her ocarina in the palm of his hand.
“But Saria...this is...your ocarina? I can’t take this from you...”
She smiled. “But I want you to have it. Play it, and think of me every once in a while. And please, come back someday. If only to visit, just please come back...” she pleaded.
He smiled and wiped the tears from his eyes, and reached out to hug her. “Bye, Saria.” He said, words failing him. He had never thought he’d have to say goodbye to Saria. He pulled away and looked at her for a moment, then turned and ran across the rest of the bridge. Saria stood and looked after him for a long time, then went back to the village. “He’ll be okay...” she said to herself.
Link pushed through the rest of the underbrush, and looked out at the huge plain spread out before him. He’d finally made it to ‘the world’.

Last edited by on 24th February 2007, 23:17; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime24th February 2007, 08:02

Thanks. Those three posts were all chapter one
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime10th March 2007, 23:37

Chapter 2

Link caught his breath. Before him sprawled a huge grassy plain, with rolling hills and majestic trees that’s tops swayed in the gently blowing breeze. He stared in disbelief, soaking it in, reveling in its beauty. When he dared to move, it was only a few paces forward at a time. The smell was wonderful. He was brought abruptly from his silent reverie by Navi.
“We don’t have much time. I swear you are so scatterbrained!” she said in a huff.
He threw her an impatient glare, and when her back was turned, stuck out his tongue. He then averted his gaze, and looked out at Hyrule Field. A smile spread across his face, and he started down the path that would take him to Zelda.
Laughing and running, he felt the freedom pulsing through his veins. He breathed in, intoxicated by the world that had opened up to him. From above, a pair of eyes watched him thoughtfully, its owner’s wings spread wide as he effortlessly kept up pace with Link. The old owl smiled.
It would appear that the time for the boy’s destiny to be fulfilled has arrived at long last. I wonder what will happen...the entire fate of the world in one boy’s hands.
He smiled again. “I will watch over you.” He whispered. He then flew farther up into the clouds, leaving no token of his visit.
Navi flew along beside Link, and after what seemed like hours of travel, he arrived at the drawbridge only minutes before it closed for the night.
“Wow...” he breathed, “where are we?”
“Castle Town. About to close up shop for the night, I’d venture. Better find somewhere to stay.
Link nodded, and ducked into an alleyway. There, Link slept, Navi nestled snugly in his cap. Many hours later, Link opened his eyes to a murmur which grew into a dull roar, like many people talking at once. Yawning, he stood and looked about. Vendors lined the streets, trying to sell their goods, and yelling to be heard over one another. Link’s eyes opened wide at the sight. He walked down the street, eyeing the wonderful things on the countertops. Link, having been raised in the forest, where all food was free and all were welcome to it, nonchalantly grabbed a piece of bread and a bunch of grapes. He ate them cautiously, as thought he feared it would poison him. But when he tasted them, his eyes lit up.
“This is much better than anything I’ve ever had in the forest!” he exclaimed to Navi. She looked up. “Umm...Link?” she began, but she was cut off by the two merchants Link had inadvertently stolen from.
“Listen son, you do intend to pay for that, am I right?” the first asked.
Confusion clouded Link’s bright eyes. “Pay?”
“He’s a thief!” the second yelled angrily, grabbing him by the collar and hoisting him up to eye level. Link struggled, while the first merchant fished around in his pockets. He withdrew the Kokiri Emerald with a smirk.
“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” he asked, fingering the jewel gently. “I reckon this is worth a pretty penny. It should be enough to pay for the food you filched.”
Link’s eyes grew wide. “N-no! That’s mine! I’m on a quest, and I have to take it to Princess Zelda!” he gushed, trying in vain to snatch the gem from the substantially taller man. The other just laughed. “Zelda? Yeah right. Come back when you’ve got some cash.”
Link was dropped, and was about to open his mouth to protest, when someone spoke.
“Give him his stone. I’ll pay for what you lost.” Said a girl no bigger than Link. Her golden hair was pulled back, and her blue eyes were filled with wisdom beyond her years. She dropped a bag on the counter, and held her hand out expectantly. The merchants handed her the gem, and peered into the bag.
“T-two hundred rupees?!?” they said simultaneously, both struggling for the many. The girl rolled her eyes at their greed.
“Gee thanks!” Link said, smiling. “Hey, do you know where I can find Princess Zelda, I have this gem and I—“
“Zelda? Oh yes, I know her...she and I are...close...friends.” she said slowly. “I can take her to you—...”
“Oh would you? That’d be great!” he exclaimed.
“If...” she said sharply, “If and only if you will do something for me in return.”
“Okay what is it?” he asked, “I’d be happy to help!”
She smiled. “Will you play with me? All day, I mean. Then, I will take you to Zelda.”
Link nodded. “Sure, that’s a lot easier than I expected”
They were interrupted by a sound, like footsteps. Looking up, the girl saw a group of people, and promptly hid behind a fruit cart. “Cover for me!” she whispered.
A muscular women with a kind face, and white hair pulled severely back into a ponytail approached Link, castle guards behind her. “Excuse me. Little boy?” she said, “Have you by chance seen a little girl around here? She has blonde hair and blue eyes, and she is very...wise-looking.” She said, choosing her words carefully. Immediately, Link thought of the little girl, for her eyes had shone with a secret intelligence, as though, even in her youth, the very creators of Hyrule had poured their knowledge into her.
He shook his head, remembering his promise to cover for her, though the thought of lying made him feel extremely guilty. Still, this girl was to take him to Zelda, so he had to stay on good terms with her.
“No ma’am.” He fibbed.
Her knowing eyes smiled at him. “Well, thank you. C’mon, men!” she said, motioning to the guards. “We will comb Castle Town if we have to, but we’ll find her.”
When they were gone, the little girl came out from behind the cart. “Thanks.” She said, and before Link could even ask why she was being searched for, she grabbed him by the hand and led him to a crowd that was gathering around an auction house.
“C’mon, this’ll be fun!” she said.
Many hours, and many games and shops later, (which included the infamous Bombchu Bowling) Link and the little girl sat on an abandoned merchant’s counter, panting and staring at the dimming skies. When she’d caught her breath, she sat up and looked at Link.
“Thank you for today.” She said softly, eyes full of sadness as she watched the last rays of the sun disappear over the horizon. “The day is up, and you have kept your end of the bargain. I—“
Before she could finish, a band of sinister looking women with swords appeared as if from nowhere. Sneering, they cornered the two children. “Give it up, Princess! You thought you could hide? Pshaw! Lord Ganondorf will have the Triforce, and you will give us the Ocarina of Time.” one said.
Link stepped forward. “You’ll have to go through me.” He said, drawing his sword. The group laughed, and the one knocked Link’s sword out of his hands “Oh, you poor little boy. You think you can stand in our way? I’ll show you what happens when you—“ here she stopped, staring beyond Link.
“No, please, don’t let me interrupt, do continue.” said a voice. Turning, Link saw the woman from earlier, who had been inquiring about the little girl. The leader cringed. “Scram!” she said, and the group ran off into the streets, as quickly as they’d come.
The little girl threw her arms around the woman’s waist. “Impa!” she exclaimed, as the woman pulled her into an embrace. “Come, your majesty, let’s go home.”
Link, who had been busy retrieving his sword, came back to find his new friend gone. He looked sad. Navi sighed. “Just like a human girl. They’re so flighty.” She said, as though it was the meaning of life solved. He sighed and shrugged.
The next morning, Link awoke with a start. Navigating his way through the streets of Castle Town, he made his way to the castle. He carefully evaded the castle guards, and was more than once saved by Navi’s warnings (tiresome as they became). Finally, after he had slipped past all of the guards, he came to the courtyard. He looked ahead down the small path to see a figure, no bigger than himself. She was looking in a window, and could see his reflection in the clean glass. “I never told you who I was, did I?” the figure said quietly. A look of confusion crossed Link’s face. “What do you mean?”
The figure turned and smiled at him. Link gasped. “The girl from the marketplace...” he said. Only now, she was dressed like royalty, with a flowing gown and a headdress bearing the Royal Family’s crest. She nodded. “My name is Zelda.”
Link’s eyes grew wide. He bowed the best he could before running up to her. “Oh, Princess! Am I glad to see you!” he said. “See, I was sent by the Great Deku Tree, and I he said that if I gave you this, you’d tell me what to do.” He looked at her expectantly, and held the Kokiri Emerald out to her, which she took into her hands. After studying it for a moment, she looked up. “You’re the one.” She said.
“Erm...the one?” he said. She nodded. “Yes, the one from my dream...or my nightmare rather. In it, there is a dense darkness, suffocating Hyrule, draining it. Killing it. But, through the darkness, there is one solitary ray of light, like a beacon, shining through with hope. And illuminated by that ray of light is a person garbed in a green tunic, followed by a fairy, holding a shining green stone.”
Link looked down at his clothes, to Navi, to the Kokiri Emerald in Zelda’s hand. “M-me? But how can I save Hyrule?” he breathed. “I-I’m just a kid!”
She nodded. “But it is your destiny. You will save Hyrule.” She smiled encouragingly at him. He swallowed his fear and spoke, hoping he kept the tremble out of his voice. “Tell me what I must do.” Zelda nodded.
“Before you save Hyrule, you must—“ she stopped abruptly, glaring at something behind Link. He turned, and his jaw nearly dropped.
Behind him stood a tall man, clad in black armor, with fierce yellow eyes and a twisted smile. The very man that had haunted Link’s nightmares all these years. “Good day, Princess. How is the most beautiful young monarch in the land?” he asked in a low, guttural voice. He glared at Link. She smiled, a cold, hard smile filled with mistrust. Her tone was even icier. “Good day, Lord Ganondorf. Your flattery is not needed, but I am quite well, thank you.”
He nodded, and smiled back. “Princess, there is something I have wished to ask you about...a...treasure of the Royal Family. I heard you had it. The Ocarina of Time? May I see it?”
For a moment, a flicker of alarm shone in her blue eyes, but it was gone as suddenly as it had appeared, and was replaced by a sly glare. “I do not know of what you speak.” She said quietly, challenge in her demeanor. “Oh, and, Lord Ganondorf?” she said as he bowed and turned to walk away, “Yesterday I had the privilege of meeting some ruffians in the marketplace. They were asking about the same thing. Friends of yours, perhaps?” she said, a knowing, mocking look in her young face. Outrage pulsed through him, and he stormed off, biting his tongue to keep from going back and backhanding the princess. She smiled triumphantly.
“Who was that?” Link asked, disdain for the man showing unknowingly.
“That,” the princess said quietly, “was Ganondorf Dragmire, leader of the Gerudo, a thieving desert tribe. My father trusts him, and is blind to his dark designs. He claims he wants our peoples to make peace but I know he is planning to take the Triforce, I just know it! But Father won’t believe me...” she said, a note of sadness in her voice. “No one will...Father tells me that my dream is pointless, but I just know that the dark clouds steeling over Hyrule represent Ganondorf. And the bright light is you.”
Link blushed. “Well, I believe you!” he said smiling, “I think you’re right. I don’t think that man has an ounce of good in him!”
Zelda clasped her hands in happiness. “You do? Then, will you help me? Please?”
Link nodded. “What were you telling me before that creep came over here?”
Zelda nodded. “Oh yes. Before you can challenge Ganondorf, you must have the blade of evil’s bane: The Master Sword. Only a true hero—The Hero of Time--can wield it.”
Link gulped. “Hero? You really think I can be a hero?” he asked.
She nodded. “Of course you can. Now, to get the Master Sword, you must have the three Spiritual Stone: Kokiri’s Emerald, Goron’s Ruby, and Zora’s Sapphire.” She continued, “As well as this.” She pulled out a small blue object and held it out. Link studied it. “It’s an ocarina!” he said, thinking suddenly of Saria. Zelda nodded. “Not just any ocarina,” she said, pointing to the symbol of the Triforce on it. “It’s the Ocarina of Time.” She said, tucking it gently back into the folds of her dress. Link stared, wide-eyed. It was so much to absorb. Evil kings, magical ocarinas, Spiritual Stones? For a moment, he doubted he could be the Hero Zelda was sure he was. But he caught her encouraging look, and his strength came back to him.
“Well, you’d better get going...we can’t afford to have you getting caught. Impa will show you out.” She lowered her voice. “I’m counting on you!” she said. She kissed him lightly on the cheek, and he blushed furiously. As in from no where, Impa appeared, and took the now-red Link by the hand, leading him out of the courtyard. When they got outside, she spread her hands out, and smiled. “Well, young hero, it seems your time to shine has come. Go forth that way, to Kakariko Village, and ask for passage to Death Mountain Trail. Tell then Impa sent you, and all will be well.” She said, pointing west.
“Oh, and one more thing....don’t forget this song...”
As if from no where, a melody so sweet, Link thought of all the nice things that had ever happened to him floated by him. He took out the ocarina Saria had given him and played along with it, immediately learning it, as its lovely tune had imprinted itself into his mind. When he turned, Impa was gone, and Death Mountain loomed ahead of him, as if challenging him with its size and might. He sighed and stood for a moment, thinking of the fate he had been handed. That flicker of doubt lingered, but he ignored it like he would a mosquito and began the journey across Hyrule Field to Death Mountain.
Back in the castle’s courtyard, Zelda stood, and watched as Ganondorf came out of a meeting with her father. His eyes glittered with lust for power, and he smiled confidently at her. Sighing, Zelda turned her eyes away from the evil man, so that he wouldn’t see the tear that rolled down her cheek. “Please,” she whispered, “please don’t fail us.”
The Princess of Destiny turned and went inside the castle, lingering for a moment at the doorway to stare up at the dark clouds that seemed to cover the sky. She shook her head and continued inside, trying to rid herself of the heavy doubt and fear that made her heart feel like lead.
Back to top Go down
Staci
Mod
Staci

Female
Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2007-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime11th March 2007, 07:38

that is soooo awesome! i like it! and it is sweet! lol
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime11th March 2007, 07:50

thanks! Chapter three coming shortly
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime12th March 2007, 23:49

(Here's Chapter three)

Chapter 3

Link was quiet for a long time, and the two made their trek across Hyrule Field. “I wonder what Saria would say if she knew we were saving all of Hyrule?” Navi asked.
Link looked up. “Hmm? Did you say something just now?” he said.
Navi sighed irritably. “All you’re thinking about right now is Zelda! Have you forgotten all about Saria?”
“N-no, it’s not like that!” he said, pulling the ocarina she’d given him, the Fairy Ocarina, out of his pocket. “Saria...” he said, gazing at it. “I wonder how everyone in the forest is...” He began to play it softly, closing his eyes, and letting the memories wash over him. When he opened them, he was face to face with a baby horse. “Umm, hi there!” Link said, smiling, “Where did you come from?”
The horse only looked at his ocarina, and made a whinnying sound.
“What, you like this ocarina?” Link asked, raising it to his lips. The horse followed him around, kicking its legs up happily.
Link decided that it was worth a try to hop up on its back. The horse grunted happily, and trotted about. Link directed her to towards Death Mountain, and the horse began to run.
“Wow! At this rate, I’ll get there in no time!” he yelled.

Malon sighed, and called the name again.
“Epona? Epona! Where are you, girl?” she called, shuffling around Hyrule Field outside Lon Lon Ranch. “Honestly,” she said in a huff, “that habitual run-away!”
She walked back toward the ranch, mumbling under her breath about ‘that darn horse’

Link neared his destination just as night was beginning to fall. Hopping off the horse, he gave her a pat on the nose. “Thank you for your help, girl. Go back home now, to your momma. It’ll be night soon.”
In the distance, he could hear howling, signifying that the day was gone. Navi seemed nervous, rambling on about random things. For the most part Link tuned her out. She glanced around uneasily.
The horse grunted, as though it understood, before running off in the direction they’d just come from
“Um, Link?” Navi said, her voice shaking, “Don’t you think we aught to, y’know, pick up the pace? I mean, c’mon, night’s falling and—‘’
He laughed. “Oh Navi, what’s so bad about is? The stars look pretty! What, is it past your bedtime?” he teased. She gulped. “No, it’s just...AH!” she shrieked, zipping behind Link. “K-kill it!’ she ordered.
Link’s mouth opened wide. “Wh-what is that thing?” he managed to say, before drawing his sword. For, the once smooth ground was being disturbed, as if a mole were burrowing out of the soil. But it was not a harmless mammal, it was a skeletal hand! Slowly, as if for atmosphere, the rest of the undead body drug itself out of the ground.
“That’s a Stalchild!” Navi said, shuddering, “They say that’s what happens to Hylians who wander into the Lost Woods for too long...”
It was Link’s turn to gulp. The monster glared out at him from hollow eye sockets, the place where his eyes should have been burning red like fire. With a sinister chuckle, it rushed forward, swinging its bony appendages about wildly. Link gripped the sword handle tightly, and slashed at the Stalchild. He watched in horror as the head fell off, but the creature continued to attack, undaunted. With a scream he later denied, he ran as fast as he could toward the village entrance. Panting, he collapsed at the night guard’s feet. The man smiled and let the young boy catch his breath, before gesturing toward a structure a few yards away.
“That’s an inn. You can stay there for the night.”
“Thanks...” Link said, still shaken by his encounter with the living dead. He made his way through the village, marveling at the structures that were being built, the scaffolding that towered over him. Sighing, he opened the door to the inn. After paying, he settled into his bed for the night, letting the events of the past few days wash over him.
He awoke to the sound of cuccos and sneezing. Groaning, he emerged from his bed and stumbled downstairs. As he stepped out into the village, and walked across the dew-laden grass, the noise grew louder. He glanced over, to see a woman with flaming red hair and kind, blue eyes lovingly feeding a group of cuccos. And sneezing every other breath. Navi huffed irritably, and followed dutifully along behind Link.
“Remember to tell them Impa sent you.” She reminded him. He nodded.
“Yeah, I know, Navi.” He said, thinking suddenly of Zelda. He smiled.
“What are you grinning for? Don’t tell me you’ve got a crush on the princess!” she said, exasperation tingeing her voice. “No, I don’t” he said indignantly, though he flushed outwardly. “Now, let’s get going. Over there, I think that’s the way to Death Mountain Trail.” He said, trying desperately to change the subject.
As they neared, the guard reached instinctively for his spear. “Halt. Ahead of here lies Death Mountain Trail. It is perilous, even for adults. A little child like you shouldn’t play up there.”
Indignation crossed Link’s face. “Impa sent me. She told me to go up the trail to the Gorons.” He said determined.
The guard looked taken aback. “Very well. You must be very special for the founder of our town to allow you passage.” He said gravely. “Be careful.”
Link nodded. “Thanks.” He said, pleased that it had gone so smoothly. As he walked up the trail that the guard had given him passage, he smiled. This won’t be so hard! He thought. The guard looked grim. I hope you know what you are doing, Impa. He mumbled.
Link glanced up at the mountain, and sighed. “Well, maybe it won’t be as easy as I thought...” he said. Navi nodded. Link started up the mountain. Kicking small stones out of his way, he squinted at the sun that was rising up behind the red earth. About a quarter of the way up, Link saw his first real sign of trouble. The spider-like creatures, (Tektites, as Navi called them) bounced around so that Link could hardly get to them. Sighing in frustration, he lunged with is sword, only to be thrown off balance, and fall on his rear.
Navi fought off the laughter. “That some...uh...great sword skills you got there, kid.” She said snickering. Throwing her an impatient glance, he finally made contact with one of the Tektite’s eyes. It shrieked, blinded, until it bounced off the side of a cliff. He caught the second off guard, and buried his blade in its pupil. It too, met the same fate as its companion.
He looked at Navi triumphantly. “See? I can do it. I just needed practice.” He said.
She nodded. “Yeah, but, if I were you, I’d get all the practice in you can. No room for mistakes when you fight the giant creature.”
His eyes widened. “What do you mean?” Navi sighed. “I mean, you don’t think the Gorons will just hand you the gem, do you? If so, you’re pretty naïve. No, I expect they’ll make you fight for it.” She said. “Boy, am I glad I’m not you!”
He looked grim. “Yeah...” he said, doubts beginning to cloud his mind again. Navi looked at him, and felt a little guilty. “Well, I mean...I’m sure you can do it! You beat that monster in the Forest, right?”
Link nodded.
She smiled reassuringly. “Then, there’s nothing to fear!” she said, “Zelda said you were the Hero, right? So you’re the Hero.”
Link looked up, his spirits rising. “Thanks, Navi. I feel a little better now...I guess...I’m just still in shock...y’know...Hero? How am I going to be a hero?” he shook his head, then smiled. “But c’mon. We’ll make it to the top. Only another mile or so to go...” he said, then under his breath, ‘vertically...”
Three hours, and seven Tektites later, Link reached the end of his climb. He dragged himself toward a sign, and glanced at it. ‘Goron City’ it read. He sighed and went inside.
The city was more like a bunch of caverns cut out of solid rock. At first Link saw no one. “Well...it is about lunchtime...maybe they’re all eating?” he said, alighting upon a boulder to sit and wait their return. He was startled to find that the rock moved.
“Ah!” he said, leaping off. “What is with that rock?”
As if on cue, the boulder stretched out to its full height, and smiled. “Hullo there, brother. Are you from Kakariko? What does a little kid like you need from us?” he asked, ruffling Link’s hair good-naturedly.
Link shook his head. “I’m not from Kakariko. I’m Link, and Princess Zelda sent me to ask about the Goron’s Ruby.” He said, staring wide-eyed at the huge mass of flesh (though it looked much like rock) before him. He didn’t have the faintest idea what a Goron might look like, but he certainly hadn’t been expecting this.
The Goron’s smile faded and his eyes clouded. “Little brother, I am not one you need to ask about such things. You said Princess Zelda sent you? This is a matter that you need to discuss with our patriarch, Darunia. Here, I will take you to him.”
Link smiled. “Gee, thanks! That’d be great.” He said, following the Goron down the many levels of rock. As he walked, the Gorons stomach growled. He turned as red as possible, (as Gorons have rock-like complexions) and smiled sheepishly. “Pardon me, Little Brother. We haven’t eaten for days.” He explained, as they passed Gorons who lie down, weary from hunger.
“Why not?” Link asked, eyeing a mother and child, the mother in tears because she couldn’t feed her baby. Link turned away and lowered his eyes, feeling suddenly guilty about being hungry, when he had eaten supper last night.
“Well, all the best rocks are deep in Dodongo’s Cavern and—‘’
“Umm, excuse me interrupting,” Link said, a confused look on his face, “but what does the rocks have to do with anything?”
The Goron laughed, and patted his head. “What do they have to do with anything? Little Brother, Gorons eat rocks!’’
Link made a face. “You....eat...rocks?” he stammered, trying to picture eating such a thing. He licked his teeth, wondering if the Gorons broke theirs by eating rock. Or if they even had teeth for that matter.
“Yes, Little Brother. And the most nutritious, the only ones that will sustain us are in the Dodongo’s Cavern.”
Link’s puzzlement deepened. “So, um, if you got them before, why can’t you just go in and get some now?”
“Because,” the Goron said matter-of-factly, “Something’s happened to the King Dodongo. He used to be calm, and allowed passage to his cavern. But ever since that man in black armor came, he’s been ferocious. Of the few who were hungry enough to enter, one returned. And that was severely wounded.” he said dismally.
Link gulped, remembering Navi’s words, No room for mistakes when you fight that giant creature. Navi seemed to remember to, because she landed on Link’s shoulder and whispered in his ear, “Hey, calm down. Remember, Zelda’s got confidence in you. And so did the Great Deku Tree. What’s some little monster in your way? You beat Gohma.”
Link nodded. “Yeah, you’re right Navi.” He said, hoping she was right.
The Goron nodded at an opening. “That’s Brother Darunia’s chamber. He’s been...er...testy since the incident of Dodongo’s Cavern, so uh, be careful.” He said, shuffling away. Link stepped inside.
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime12th March 2007, 23:50

“I take it that’s Darunia.” Navi said quietly, looking at the massive Goron pacing back and forth in the room. Link nodded. “What are we waiting for?” he said, knowing very well what. He wasn’t in any hurry to face a man-eating monster.
Stepping quietly inside, he cleared his throat. When that failed to get the big Goron’s attention, he said very meekly in an almost inaudible voice, “Umm...Mister Darunia?”
The Goron looked up and scowled. “Who let some little Kakariko kid in here?” he bellowed. “He has no business here!”
“B-but, Princess Zelda s-sent me!” Link managed to say.
Darunia stared. “Oh yeah? Well then, what do you need?” he asked gruffly, never once letting his guard down.
Link took a deep breath. “I was sent to retrieve the Spiritual Stone of Fire.” He said calmly.
“WHAT?!” the patriarch yelled, “And why would I give that thing, sacred to us Gorons, to you?”
Link’s face turned red. “Well, do you want to let Ganondorf take over Hyrule?” he asked, fighting very hard to keep from raising his voice.
“Hush! Such a stupid boy! I have my own problems to deal with. Like the starvation of my people!” he said. Then, a smirk came over Darunia’s face. “Well, there is one way that I would give it to you...”
“What is it?” Link said hopefully.
“Go into Dodongo’s Cavern, defeat the ancient dinosaur, King Dodongo, and prove to me that you are a man. Then, if you come out alive, I’ll give you the stone.”
Link gulped. “W-we have a deal.” He said, face ashen at the thought of fighting the ‘ancient dinosaur’. Another Goron took Link by the hand and led him out of the chamber.
Link followed the Goron through the city in silence. Well, he thought, this is the end. Goodbye, Saria. Goodbye, Forest. Goodbye Zelda.
The Goron glanced back at him as they exited the city and began to follow Death Mountain Trail. “You’re certainly braver than I am...” he said, trying to offer some sort of consolation. Link shrugged. Won’t matter if I die... he thought.
They neared the cavern, a yawning black hole in the side of the mountain. Little plants with round tops were scattered outside the entrance. “What are those?” Link asked.
The Goron looked. “Those are bomb flowers. They explode when you pluck them.
Link gulped, careful to avoid them, and faced the cavern again.
Link shuddered slightly as he entered. The Goron stood uneasily at the entrance, debating on whether to stay and watch, or run like there was no tomorrow. Eventually, curiosity won out over fear. He peered into the blackness, watching the little boy walk to his doom.
When Link first walked in, he had to stop to allow his eyes to adjust to the darkness. When he could make out where he was (for the most part anyway,) he walked forward uncertainly, glancing around, nearly jumping at every sound he heard. His heart pounded so loud, he was sure Navi could hear it. She didn’t seem to notice, and stayed close to him, providing the only light source in the whole place. He stared ahead of him.
“What’s that big rock?” he asked, pointing.
“I dunno.” Navi answered. “Let’s go look.”
Cautiously, Link made his way to the big rock. He heard a noise, like air rushing in and out of a hole. “Is that you breathing, Navi?” he whispered.
“No.” she whispered back, “I am much more lady-like than that.”
Somehow, Link doubted that, but he kept the sentiment to himself.
He took a few more steps forward, and put his hand on the rock. “It’s really warm...” he said, puzzled. Then, it moved. The sickening realization hit him, and he stumbled backward, nearly tripping over is feet. “Gah!” he yelled, as the ‘rock’ turned a full one hundred eighty degrees to face him. It opened its mouth, and let out a deafening roar. Link’s eyes grew wide, and he took a few more steps back. The Dodongo king eased forward, baring its razor-sharp teeth.
“Wh-what do I do?” Link asked himself, dodging a would-be fatal blow from the creature’s armored tail.
Navi screamed. “I dunno...” she said, looking helplessly about. Her gaze fell to the bomb flowers. “The flowers!” she yelled.
Link looked up, and dove for the bomb flowers. He grabbed it, and watched as it began to smoke. The Dodongo opened its mouth and roared again, and just as it did, Link flung the plant into its mouth. The creature, though massive in size, was not terribly clever. It swallowed the explosive, and, as it snapped at Link, stopped, mid-roar. It doubled over, and with a shriek that Link would never forget, split apart at the stomach, its internal organs spilling out on the ground as smoke poured from his nostrils. Link gasped in relief at the dead dinosaur, and staggered out of the cavern, eyes glazed over. When he’d calmed down, he found the Goron that had escorted him.
“Wow, I-I’ve never seen anything like that before!” the Goron breathed, half-leading, half-dragging Link back to the city. “I can’t believe it! Wait ‘til Darunia hears about this!”
When they reached the city, Darunia greeted them. “Well?” he asked expectantly.
“I killed it.” Link said. The Goron nodded and began to recount the entire tale. In a few moments, many Gorons exited the city, all headed for the cavern. They returned with their arms fill of rocks, cramming them into their mouths.
“So, you did it.” Darunia said, smiling. “Well, it looks like you kept your side of the bargain.”
He went to his chamber, and returned with the glittering red stone, which he handed to Link. “You see,” he began, “That guy, Ganondorf, he came here a month ago, and demanded that we give him the Spiritual Stone of Fire. Of course, I refused, and that’s when the King Dodongo turned ferocious. But you...you risked your life for us, complete strangers. You deserve it. I don’t know what Princess Zelda might need it for, but if it will help protect Hyrule from that evil man, I’m all for it.”
Link nodded. “Well thank you, and I really do appreciate it, but I need to get going so I can—“
“Nonsense!” the Goron patriarch said, “We’re celebrating tonight, and you have to be there.”
At the party, Darunia got everyone’s attention. “Brothers and Sisters, this young hero is truly a man, and worthy of our thanks. From this day forward, he and I are sworn brothers, and we will come to each other’s aid without fail as long as we live!”
With that said, Link pulled out his ocarina, and began to play the song Saria had taught him. He and the Gorons danced for most of the night, and when he had to leave, they all saw him off with cheers and applause. Link smiled and waved, descending the mountain trail until he reached Kakariko. He walked through the town, happy and confident. When he made it to Hyrule Field, he looked about, sighing.
“Two down, one to go.” He said.

Meanwhile, Malon had just about given up hope of ever seeing Epona again. She sighed, and walked wearily back to her house. Right before she entered, the colt in question ran up to her, whinnying and nuzzling her hand.
“Epona!” she cried, throwing her arms around the animal. “I missed you so much!”
Malon opened her mouth, and let her beautiful singing voice ring out, in the melody the young mare loved so much.

Link thought suddenly of the Great Deku Tree. “I wonder if he knew where I’d need to go next...” he said. He remembered the Great Deku Tree saying how much he believed in him, and he brightened.
Wandering through the field, Link was certain he’d heard something.
“Navi? What was that?” he asked.
“Sounded like singing to me...” she said.
“Yeah, me too,” Link agreed, “but who would be our singing in the dead of night?”
Link followed the noise. “Let’s try to find it.” He said resolutely, changing course. He walked toward it, the voice getting louder and louder, nearer and nearer. Link looked ahead, and saw a ranch. “It’s coming from here.” He whispered, entering. He walked across the grass. “Sure is quiet....”
“Who’s there?” Malon said, glancing about.
“Ah!” Link said, startled. He tripped and fell, looking up at the redheaded girl.
She smiled. “Hi! Welcome to Lon Lon Ranch! Who are you?”
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime13th March 2007, 00:59

(Chapter 4 Coming Soon)
Back to top Go down
~Mere-bear~
Admin
~Mere-bear~

Female
Number of posts : 374

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime13th March 2007, 01:58

MALLORIE ANNE w******* [ I DIDNT ANT TO GIVE OUT UR LAST NAME JUST IN CASE..LOL..] N-E- WAYS WHERE WAS I..OH YEAH!..MALLORIE ANNE w********!!.........THAT WAS AWESOME~!!!!!!!!i ♥ IT !!!THATS VERY GOOD..cnat wait for ch4!
Back to top Go down
https://zeldavillage.jeun.fr
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime13th March 2007, 02:01

lol Thank you! :)

I may write chapter four today, maybe tomorrow, or the next day. I hope that it will be up in the next three days.
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime14th March 2007, 21:09

Chapter 4

Link stood back up, and grinned sheepishly. “Hi there. I uh...I’m sorry for barging in like this...” he began.
“Nonsense!” she interrupted, “We never get guests here! C’mon!” she said, grabbing his hand, and dragging him off in the direction of the barn. “So, where do you come from?”
“Umm, the forest...” he said, quite taken aback by the energetic girl, “but we didn’t exactly come to sightsee...”
“So you’re a fairy boy from the Forest? That’s nice. This way.” She said, turning abruptly and pulling him along with her. She pushed open the door to the barn, Link right behind her. “We’re all working late tonight,” she explained, “Well, all except for dad.” She motioned to a man who was fast asleep in a pile of hay, pitchfork in his hands. She sighed, before nudging him with her foot. “Dad! Dad, wake up. You’re sleeping in hay again!” she said impatiently. “Especially when we have a guest!”
The man sat up. “Hmm? Oh, I’m awake, I’m awake!” he said. He spotted Link. “Well, hullo there, fella. Talon, at your service. I own Lon Lon Ranch.”
A tall, lean, and rather sinister looking man in the corner looked up. “Humph. All Master Talon does is sleep all day. All the work falls to me!” He said.
Malon, undaunted, smiled. “That’s right, Mr. Ingo! You’re such a help! Thank you so much!”
“Let’s change the name to Ingo’s Ranch!” he growled.
Link sighed. “Look, I’m really pleased to meet you, and you have a very lovely ranch, but you see, I’m kind of in a hurry. I have to find the Spiritual Stone of Water and...”
“Here you go! Drink up!” Malon said, shoving a jug of milk into his hands.
“Well, umm, thanks. I guess I can stay for a minute.” He said, taking a sip. No sooner had she swallowed, that the redhead grabbed him by the hand again, dragging him out of the barn and near the fence where a young mare stood.
“Hey!” he said, smiling, “That’s the little horse that helped me before!” He began to pet it.
Malon stroked the horse’s mane. “We were never properly introduced. My name is Malon. And this is Epona.”
Link nodded. “Nice to meet you. My name is Link.”
Smiling, she climbed up on the fence. “Epona loves music. She comes to me whenever I sing this song. I call it Epona’s Song.” She said, closing her eyes, and beginning to sing. Link looked at her, astonished. She had the most beautiful singing voice he’d ever heard. After she’d sung it a few times, he took out his ocarina, and followed along with it. Soon, the two children were playing together, the notes mingling in the clear night air. When they’d finished, Malon sighed.
“I love to sing...it makes me feel better.” She said, “Working all day is very tiring.”
Link looked up at her, leaning his body on the fence. “But Malon, what about your mother? She doesn’t help you?” he asked.
“N-no...” she said, her voice slow, “...You see, she died when I was quite young.”
A spasm of guilt crossed Link’s face. “Oh, I’m so sorry...” he began, “I never knew my parents either...”
She smiled at him gently. “I’m okay. And I’m sorry for your parents. At least I have my father....and my dreams.” She said wistfully, “I dream that someday, a prince will come just for me...” She flushed pink. “It sounds foolish, I know...but...it’s a lovely thought, isn’t it? Do you have a dream?”
Link looked up at the stars. “A dream?” he said, thinking of the Great Deku Tree...telling him to see the world and grow... He was silent for a moment. “Yeah, I have a dream. Mine is to see the world.”
Suddenly, out of no where, a gigantic bird swooped down, perching on the fence, and sending Malon careening backwards. She shrieked, jumping behind Link and using him as a shield.
Link stared at the bird, an owl that was bigger than any man he’d ever seen. He gasped.
The owl studied Link for a moment. “Ooh-hoo! It would appear that you’ve become quite strong, Link.” He said.
“Wh-what are you?!” Link asked. “And how do you know me?”
The owl scowled. “Humph. How rude! I am Kaepora Gaebora, and I’ve known about you since you were but a baby.” He said, twisting his neck into unnatural position, “I was friends with the Great Deku Tree.”
“You knew the Great Deku Tree?” Link asked, taking a step forward.
Kaepora Gaebora nodded. “Yes, but that is not the point. Link, the Spiritual Stone of Water is in Zora’s Domain. And, if you’d like, I can take you there.”
It was Link’s turn to nod. “Alright. Take me there.”
“Grab onto my legs, and I shall carry you.” The bird said.
Kaepora Gaebora flapped his huge wings, getting a few feet off of the ground. Link grabbed onto his feet, and the owl began to ascend. Malon waved her arms wildly.
“Fairy boy? You’re leaving already?” she called.
“I’ll come again, Malon.” He said, smiling at her as she became smaller and smaller.
“You’d better! Definitely come back!” she said. It was the last thing Link heard her say before he disappeared into the clouds.
Link watched the scenery, soaking it all in, taking in its beauty as he soared through the sky. He was brought back to reality by the sound of Kaepora Gaebora’s voice.
“Definitely come back, huh?” he chuckled. “Well, aren’t you the popular one?”
Link flushed red. “I-I don’t know what you’re talking about...” he mumbled.
But Kaepora Gaebora changed the subject. “So, how is the world?” he asked conversationally. Link looked down at the ground below him. “It’s HUGE! From way up here, we all look like little ants. ...We’re all so small.” He marveled.
“Well, small or no, you have the power to change ‘the world’.” The owl said matter-of-factly. “You may think it was your own desire that caused you to leave the Forest, but the truth is, it was your destiny from the very beginning.”
Link looked confused. “What do you mean by that?” he asked.
But Kaepora Gaebora ignored him. “Time for us to part ways. May you be successful in your quest.” And with that, Kaepora Gaebora released Link’s hands from his talons, watching as a look of horror registered on his face, and he fell, screaming, back to earth. But the wise old owl knew Link wasn’t in any danger. No, he would be just fine...
Soon, you will understand the meaning of my words... he thought.
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime14th March 2007, 21:09

With a tremendous splash, Link landed in the middle of a rather large pool of water. He swam to the shore, ringing out his tunic, and hoping his boots weren’t ruined. He looked about. Tiered fountains were placed artistically around a large, clear pool of water, and soft light filtered into the area, making light reflect off of the water and dance on the walls.
“Where am I?” Link breathed. Navi, (who had been in Link’s hat up until this point) followed his gaze. “I dunno.” She said, “But it’s beautiful.”
Link turned, and what he saw made his stop short. All around, people were bustling about. Well, not exactly people. They had blue, stream-lined skin and webbed feet, as well as a long dorsal fin on the back or their heads, and dark, dark eyes, like pools of midnight water. They were all in the best of shape, their abdominal muscles hard and their legs strong from swimming. All save for one. And this one was extremely obese, with bug eyes and a small mustache. It sat upon a throne, with two considerably smaller ones on either side of him.
Startled by the creatures, (particularly the large one, for that was the one he was looking at when he showed signs of alarm) Link stumbled backward, with a small cry. One of the smaller ones glared at him. “How rude!” it chastised “You are in the presence of King Zora!” The large one, who was apparently the King, held up a hand. “No, it’s fine. Don’t worry about it. But I must ask, who are you?”
‘So,’ Link thought, ‘this is Zora’s Domain?’ “My name is Link.” He said. “I was sent by Princess Zelda to retrieve the Spiritual Stone of Water. Please tell me where it is.”
King Zora studied Link. “A messenger from the Royal Family, huh? I am sorry...but I cannot help you. I have my own problems right now. You see, my daughter, Princess Ruto, was swallowed by Lord Jabu-Jabu.” He lamented.
“Lord Jabu-Jabu?” Navi said. “Who’s that?”
“Lord Jabu-Jabu is the Zora’s tribe protector. And lately, he’s been acting really strange! Come to think of it, he’s been acting this way ever since that Ganondorf guy came!” the Zora to the king’s right said.
Link started. “Hold up...Ganondorf came here too? So what about the princess?”
“She’s probably still inside Lord Jabu-Jabu’s stomach.” The one to King Zora’s left said.
The king sighed. “It’s such a shame. I had even picked out the most handsome man in the country to marry her, and the ceremony was to be tomorrow! Oh, poor Ruto!” he said, coming to tears.
Link smiled. He had an idea. “King Zora? If I go into Lord Jabu-Jabu’s stomach and rescue the princess, can I have the Spiritual Stone of Water?”
The King looked up and smiled. “Oh, that’s an easy trade! Of course you can! But before you go, take this!” He said, snapping his fingers. A random Zora brought forth a boomerang, and handed it to Link. “This is the weapon that has always been passed down in our family.” The king explained. “It will probably be useful in Lord Jabu-Jabu’s stomach.”
Link nodded. “Thanks! I’ll be back with the princess! C’mon, Navi!” he said, running towards the exit. When he got outside, he looked about. There was a huge dock on the edge of the water, and, at the edge was a gigantic fish. Link’s jaw dropped. “Woah! He’s huge!” he said. He set his jaw into a firm line. “Well, might as well get this over with.” He said, walking up to Jabu-Jabu. “Okay, you. Spit out the princess!”
The big fish didn’t move. It just sat there.
Link sighed. “Oooookay then.”
Navi rolled her eyes. “Link, he’s a protector. You can’t just order him around. Try giving him something.”
Link shrugged, and grabbed a fish from a bucket resting on the platform. “Um, okay. Lord Jabu-Jabu, please eat this fish.” He said, holding it in front of his face. The large fish opened its mouth wide, and Link tossed the fish inside. However, Jabu-Jabu rammed into the platform Link was standing on, and he lost his balance, falling into the fish’s mouth. And Jabu-Jabu swallowed him whole. Link shrieked, and landed on the tongue. “Ewww...” he said, making face. “Smells like fish...”
“Well, what do you expect?” Navi said, regarding him with a look of disgust. “And you’ve got fish slobber on your tunic.”
Link looked down. “Ewww! Gross!” he said, wiping it off. “Well, let’s go find Ruto so we can get out of here.” He said, picking his way through the mouth. “Ruto? Princess Ruto? Where are you? Your dad sent me to come...AH!”
All of a sudden, he was thrown off balance, and he fell down the throat, into the stomach. He landed on his rear, on a small patch not covered by stomach acid. Navi made a face. “This just keeps getting worse and worse...” “At least you can fly and don’t have to step in it!” Link retorted. He was interrupted by a sound, like a small cry. “What was that?” he asked, peering into the darkness. Navi shrugged. “I dunno. Sounded like a kid to me.”
Link crept forth, careful not to step in any puddles of unidentified goop. “Princess Ruto, is that you?”
Suddenly, the stomach was illuminated with a bright, electric light, and Link blinked, shielding his eyes from the change in lighting. “What on Hyrule is that?” Navi said, astonished. For, before them, stood a giant mass of jelly and electricity, its tentacles whipping in the air. Link looked in front of it just in time to see a blue-complexioned figure fall backwards in alarm. Link rushed forward, grabbing her by the waist, and pulling her to safety just before the creature finished her off. “Princess Ruto!” Link exclaimed, “I’m glad you’re safe!” he said.
Ruto backhanded her unknown savior, and scowled. “Insolent fool! I am Ruto, princess of the Zoras. And just who are you supposed to be?” she demanded. Link stared at her in shock. “The king asked me to come save you!” he said.
Ruto’s expression changed. “My...father?” but she quickly turned spiteful once again, “Humph! I don’t I need to be saved!”
“What are you talking about?” Link cried, staring at the girl in disbelief. “Everyone is worried sick about you! Now, c’mon. Let’s get out of here...”
Ruto’s expression was indignant. “No. You hurry back! I’m not going.” She said.
Link looked up as a smaller jellyfish swan towards Ruto. He slashed it with his sword, killing it, but suffering a nasty shock nonetheless.
Link, his patient, giving nature keeping him from leaving Ruto right then and there, stumbled back over to her. “You’re not hurt are you? Now, c’mon, let’s go...”
Ruto was silent for a moment. “Fine, but get me my stone first. I dropped it when Lord Jabu-Jabu swallowed me.” She said, pointing. At the base of the creature, there was a small, blue gem: the Zora’s Sapphire. “If you get me my stone, I promise I’ll leave with you, okay?” she said. Link began to walk off, but Ruto grabbed him by the collar of his tunic. “Hold it. Do you seriously intend to leave me alone?” she asked, crossing her arms and looking at him expectantly. Link stared at her. “But, you won’t be alone...I’ll be right over there...” But Ruto shook her head. “No. You can’t leave me.” Though she spoke the words in command, Link could see the look of intense fear in her ocean blue eyes. He sighed. “Fine then, climb up on my back.” he said. Ruto alighted upon his back as told, and he carried her toward the stone. Just as a tentacle came crashing down. “Umm, how am I supposed to fight it when I’m holding you?” he asked, dodging it just in time.
She was about to open her mouth to answer, when a tentacle came swooping down, snatching her from his back and wrapping her up in its slimy grip. She screamed. Link gasped.
“Use your boomerang, Link!” Navi reminded him. Whipping it out, and thanking Navi for her presence of mind, he took careful aim, and flicked it toward the stone. It returned to his grasp, the jewel in tow.
He aimed it again, only this time, at the tentacle that was swinging Ruto about wildly. Letting it fly, he held his breath as it sailed through the air, slicing the tentacle in half, and catching several others on the way back to him. The monster was stunned, and the electric currents stopped. Seizing the moment of opportunity, Link rushed forward, sword drawn. He slashed crazily at the main body, its juices oozing out of the huge gashes. In a few moments, it was nothing but a hacked up mound of jelly. Link had killed it before it knew what hit it.
“Link,” Ruto called, “you did it! You killed Barinade!” But her look of admiration changed to one of irritation. “But why did you throw me aside like that” she said, her tone indicating her feelings had been bruised.
“I’m sorry...” Link said, holding his hand out to her to help her up, “here you go.” She rose to her feet, and was silent for a few minutes. Her voice broke the silence. “...I was a little scared...thank you.” She said, her face showing traces of remorse at treating Link so cruelly. She sighed. “But the truth is...Lord Jabu-Jabu didn’t really swallow me...I was hiding.”
Link looked at her, startled. “But, why Ruto?” he asked.
He face flushed with anger, but it was not directed at Link. “My father!” she said, he fists clenched. “He just goes and does whatever he wants without asking me about it! He arranged this marriage for me without even consulting me first! I have my own feelings, you know!” Her voice cracked, and her eyes filled with tears. “I am not my father’s doll!”
Link stared at her. “Wow, there are lots of tough things about being a princess, I guess...but...” he said, smiling wistfully, “I’m envious. My parents are dead. I never met them...but you have a father who is worried sick about you. So...let’s go back, okay?”
She looked at him for a long time, her eyes compassionate. “I’m...so sorry.” She said softly. “Will you...accept this?” she asked, holding out the shining blue gem. “This is the Spiritual Stone of Water, the Zora’s Sapphire. I’m supposed to give it to my fiancée. We call it the Zora’s engagement ring.” She said, smiling. “And I will give it to you!”
Link took it into his hands. “W-wow! Now I have all three!” he said happily.
A few minutes later, Link was out of Jabu-Jabu’s stomach, and Ruto was back in the palace. “I already gave the stone away, father.” She said, smirking at his astonished face. She watched Link leave. “Come back okay?” she called. He turned and waved, then ran out, hurrying in the direction of the castle. “By the way, Navi...” he said, “what’s an engagement ring?”

Night was falling. Link ran across Hyrule Field, panting, a smile on his face. “We’re almost there, Navi!” he said, staring eagerly at the horizon. ‘I did it, Great Deku Tree! He thought, I did it!’ He was nearing the castle. He could see the spires, reaching up for the star-filled sky. “There it is!” he said. “Hyrule Castle is...”
He stopped dead in his tracks, and his blood ran cold. Flames lapped at the castle, and smoke billowed out of the widows.
“...Burning?”
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

Male
Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime15th March 2007, 08:22

its cool so far mal.keep up the good work.im anxious for the next chp.
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime15th March 2007, 09:40

Thanks, man. I'm about to read your story
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

Male
Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime15th March 2007, 19:11

yr welcome.and cool
Back to top Go down
Mal

Mal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime23rd March 2007, 05:54

Chapter 5

For a moment, all was silent. Link couldn’t hear anything but the beating of his own heart. He stood, reliving the nightmare that had haunted him since as long he could remember. A little red flag went up in the back of his head, and he snapped back into his senses. With renewed strength, he raced toward Castle Town. When he got there, he felt sick.
All around people were running and screaming, knocking over carts and abandoning home and shops. The guards were doing their best to keep control, but it was no use. They were regarded with little or no care, and soon the guards just stepped to the side and allowed the people to evacuate on their own. Link’s eyes wandered in a trance from the destruction to the screaming people. What he saw next. He would never forget/
It was huge, taller by far than anyone in the terrified crowd, and its followers weren’t much smaller. They had no skin, they had no heart, and they had no veins to bleed. They were nothing but skeletal monstrosities with sword and shield: Stalfos. The guards grabbed their swords and spears, and rushed at them, ready to battle them, ready to defend what little was left of Castle Town. The people ran screaming, and Link, suddenly awake of his desperate situation, ran around them, fighting the stream of them, trying to get to the castle. To Zelda.
He ran up the steps, leaping over the bleeding and the dying soldiers who had been struck down, trying to protect the Royal Family. “Zelda!” he screamed, “Zelda! Where are you?!” He suddenly heard the voice of the princess.
“Where is my father?” she demanded, eyes filled with tears.
Ganondorf laughed, a low, haunting sound. “The king is sleeping...for eternity.”
Impa swore at him.
“Zelda? Zelda! I’m coming! Hang on!” Link yelled, heart racing with fear, as he raced down the stone stairs to the place where the three stood.
A tear slid down Zelda’s cheek, and she hugged Impa’s waist tighter.
Ganondorf smirked. “Soon, I will obtain the Triforce, and become king of Hyrule! No...King of the world!”
Zelda glared at him through her tears. “No! You NEVER will!” she spat, “The Hero of Time will appear! And he WILL defeat you!”
Ganondorf glared at her, and then his face broke into a sinister grin. “That ratty old legend? What a joke.” He said, rearing his massive fist back. He lunged at them, but Impa was too quick, and she jumped out of the way, hauling Zelda with her. Drawing her sword, Impa began to fight off the skeletal warriors single-handedly, while holding Zelda protectively behind her. Ganondorf watched in amusement. “Get the Ocarina of Time.” He said to the largest, and apparently the leader, of the Stalfos. “Yes, Lord Ganondorf.” It said, moving forward to obtain it from Zelda.
‘The Hero of Time?’ Ganondorf thought to himself, ‘What a stale old legend...’ But secretly, in his heart of hearts, he wondered...
Link looked on in horror; he was only a few feet away from Impa and Zelda. Zelda had her eyes shut tightly, but at the sound of Link’s voice she looked up.
“Zelda!” he yelled, “I’m coming just hold on!”
“Link!” she said, looking up at him racing down the stairs through her tears.
But a Stalfos stood between Link and his goal. “Little shrimp. Just try to get past me!” he mocked. Link slashed at him, but the Stalfos only laughed. “Not a scratch. You’ll have to do better than that!” he said, knocking Link aside.
Link heard a horse and looked up. He saw Impa on a white horse, Zelda in her arms, racing out of the courtyard.
“Link! Link!” she screamed. “Impa, stop the horse, please!”
“I cannot, or we’ll be killed” she said, gripping the princess tightly.
“Zelda! No!” Link yelled, running as fast as he could after the horse. But it was no use. Zelda looked back at him, tears in her eyes. And that’s when she threw it. It was small and blue and it made a soft plink as it hit the wood of the drawbridge. Zelda stared sadly at him as she rode off into the night. Link picked it up, touching it gently. “The Ocarina of Time...” he whispered. He looked up, his eyes tormented, and watched as Impa and Zelda disappeared over the horizon, leaving him alone standing outside the burning castle. Suddenly, he heard a sound. He turned, and gasped. Before him was a large black horse, with an evil man with black armor on its back, who smiled darkly down at him. For a moment, Link heard no sound. He stared up at the man, at the nightmare that had always tortured him. Only now, the nightmare was real.
“Hey, kid. Give me that thing you just picked up.” Ganondorf said
Link stared at him, before slowly shaking his head.
Ganondorf raised his sword. “Give it to me.”
Link drew his own sword. “Never.” He lunged at Ganondorf, who quickly knocked his aside with hardly any effort. “You’ve got some kind of nerve to oppose me. You’re the kid I saw talking to Zelda that day. Are you a Kokiri?” he said, studying him.
“No, something’s wrong with you. You can’t be a Kokiri you’re something else.”
“There is NOT anything wrong with me! I AM a Kokiri, a child of the Great Deku Tree!” he shouted, raising his sword again. Ganondorf created a powerful force field that knocked Link backwards. The Fairy Ocarina tumbled out of his pocket, landing softly on the grass. Ganondorf smirked, and picked it up, remounting his horse, and smiling triumphantly. ‘But, that’s Saria’s ocarina!’ he thought, but he kept his mouth shut, hoping that Ganondorf wouldn’t notice the difference. He apparently didn’t, and rode off into the distance, in the direction Zelda had gone.
To top it all off, a thunder and lighting storm tore through the sky, and rain began to poor down on Link. He lifted his face to it, and screamed. “I can’t do it Great Deku Tree! I just can’t! I’m too small! I can’t beat him!” he said, his fingernails digging into the flesh of him palms as he clenched his fists. “Even though I worked so hard to get the three Spiritual Stones! Zelda....” he said, thinking of the princess’s words.
‘The gate to the Sacred Realm is the Temple of Time, and the key to the Door of Time is this, the Ocarina of Time...’
Link looked up. “The Ocarina of Time...” he breathed, “She left it behind! She knew I would need it, she knew!” He stood, and looked at the destroyed Castle Town. “It’s in there somewhere, the Temple of Time. And I’m going to find it.”
Link walked back to Castle Town, his steps slow as he picked his way through the rubble of the fallen town. His heart ached as he looked at the destroyed homes, and the remains of the Marketplace. As he walked through it, he heard a noise. He stopped, and listened for it again, just to make sure he wasn’t imagining things. He stood quietly, in the torn apart town, and listened. Then, he heard it again, a small, whimpering noise. He looked through the debris for it, and saw a small, busted up cage. Inside it was baby dragon. Its eyes darted about wildly, and it whimpered again. Link smiled at it, distracted from his goal. He reached out and picked the cage up. Smiling at the creature that cowered in the enclosure, he set it on the ground and opened its door. The small dragon climbed out, and Link began to walk off. But it made another sound. Turning around he sighed. “What are you hungry? Here.” He said, absently tossing it an apple from an overturned cart and patting it on the head. It growled and snapped at his hand, drawing a bit of blood. “Ouch! What was that for?” he said angrily. “Fine, then. I’ll leave you here.”
The dragon whimpered and followed him as he walked off. He turned back around. “Well, if you’re going to be nice, I’ll forgive you.” He said smiling. “I’m Link.”
“Li-nk, li-nk.” It said, copying the sound. He stared at it for a moment. “Umm, it just spoke!” he said, mouth falling open. Navi shrugged. “I’ve heard of some dragons learning names before. It must really like you.” She said
Link smiled. “Well, it’s cute.” He said, patting its head. He smiled at it. “And I’d really like to play with you, but, you see, I’m on a very important mission, and I have to get to the Temple of Time.” He explained. It nibbled at his boots, and he picked it up.
“I’ll just take it to Hyrule Field.” He said, petting its scaly heads. He changes direction, and began to leave the town. The rain had subsided, and he kneeled in the grass with the baby dragon. “Now, listen. I’d really like to play with you, but I can’t. I have to go somewhere. You understand, don’t you, boy?”
The creature whimpered and nudged his knee. “Li-ink,” it said.
He hugged it. “Y’know, I haven’t even known you very long, but you are a good pet, and I am very sorry for leaving you here. But you’ll find a good home and grow up big and strong and I will see you again someday, okay?” he said.
It appeared to understand. “Link” it said. Link smiled and stood. “That’s a good boy. Now, I have to go.” He said. He stood and walked away, leaving the little creature sitting in the grass.

Link was back in the marketplace. “Where exactly is the Temple of Time, Navi?” he asked, wandering through the streets.
“Beats me.” She said, glancing at the ruined stalls.
He sighed. “Let’s go down that alleyway.” He said. He marched through the puddles, and rounded the corner. Only to find a dead end. He sighed and backtracked. He tried alley after alley, street after street, until he thought he’d never find it.
Finally, he turned a corner, and gave a sigh of relief. Before him stood a huge building made of brick, with a spire and a clock set in it. He stared at it for a long time.
“Do you think that’s it, Navi?” he asked, staring at the tall building.
“I dunno,” she said, fluttering close to his face. “Let’s go in and find out.” Link nodded, and walked slowly toward the building, as if in reverence of its splendor. The only structure in the whole of the town more grand that this was the castle itself. As he approached it, he hesitated. ‘Can I really do this?” he thought to himself. He set his teeth, and reached out to the front door with trembling hand. It opened easily, and he stepped inside, the door creaking shut behind him. Before him was a large room, made out of marble of the purest white, and a carpet that led to the back of the room, where a giant door bearing the symbol of the Triforce stood. He walked forward, not daring to interrupt the silence that seemed even more terrifying than the raging storm that had engulfed the castle. When he reached the door, he stared up at it in awe. “The Door of Time...” he whispered. Fumbling in his pockets, her removed the Kokiri Emerald, and placed it into an indentation in the stone. Next, he set the Goron’s Ruby, and finally the Zora’s Sapphire. Standing back, he carefully removed the Ocarina of Time. “I have to play the Song of Time....it must be the melody Zelda taught me back in the courtyard...” he said softly, staring down at the wind instrument in his hands.
With a trembling sigh, he raised it and began to play the soft notes. The Spiritual Stones glowed brightly, the soft like shining on Link’s face. As he played, light filled the room, causing him to squint, but never interrupting the steady flow of the music. Concentrating with everything in him, Link let the melody course through his veins, giving him renewed courage. He heard the rumble, felt the shaking as the ancient temple responded to his song. The very foundations of the long-sleeping building awoke, listening to the music they had waited for all these long years, the music signifying the coming of the Hero. The stones of the wall began to sing, it seemed, bathed in the Song of Time, echoing it back with a sweetness no human could ever create with their voice. He played on, caught up in the glory of the moment, the sweetness of its magic. And then, the Door of Time began to open. It opened slowly, shaking the ground as it did. Link looked at it as he played, eyes growing wide as he watched the ancient door open at his command. He lowered the Ocarina, placing it absently back into his pocket, and watching as the doorway opened wider and wider. When it came to a stop, so did the music. The light all faded away, leaving Link standing alone, save for Navi, and peering into the doorway. Inside of it was dark, a hollow chasm; a void that seemed it would swallow him. The silence descended once again, and Link stood there for several minutes. The quiet was broken by Navi.
“Link?” she said, “Th-that’s the door! The Door of Time has opened!”
Link stared into the darkness, and saw, very faintly, a glow of light. He moved forward, his eyes fixed on the mysterious light. Slowly, he approached it, never even blinking as he neared it. He stopped short when he was about four feet from it. He sucked in his breath.
“The legendary Blade of Evil’s Bane!” Navi breathed, “The Master Sword!”
But Link didn’t need her explanation. He knew exactly what it was. Without a word, he took a step forward, thoughts racing through his head. “I can really do this! Here is the key to it all! To saving Zelda, and Hyrule, and everything!” he thought, as he took two more steps forward.
‘If I have this sword...can I defeat him?
He laid his hands on the hilt, staring at the sword with determination in his eyes. “Yes,” he said aloud, “I can, and I will defeat Ganondorf!”
Link pulled, prying the sword loose from the stone. As he did, the sword glowed even more brightly, blinding him with an intense light. Its power surged through him, and he gave a cry as the ground lurched suddenly beneath him. He held onto the sword, as he fell, expecting to hit hard stone. But he didn’t. Instead, he continued to fall. He fell into nothingness, and he fought for consciousness. Panic gripped him, but soon, even this slipped away. Navi cried out his name, and flew near him, but he never heard or saw her. The image of Zelda’s terrified face was the last thing he saw before he was plunged into utter darkness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Only Time Will Tell   Only Time Will Tell Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Only Time Will Tell
Page 1 of 1